Coal (previously called "Coal Ore") is one of the core basic resources. Found commonly throughout the galaxy, it can be harvested and processed on almost any rocky planet. Coal is a byproduct of centuries of bio-matter slowly compressing into a dense carbon mesh.
This makes it useful as a fuel source. It also can be further compressed and refined into other useful products.
It is mined with the Mining Machine.
See here for a table of veins required to fill Belts per level of Veins Utilization.
Player Tips & Tricks
- When considering fuel sources for Thermal Power Stations, due to the 20% inefficiency, Energetic Graphite comes out slightly behind the equivalent of two Coal, with a net loss of 55.25 kJ per Energetic Graphite in the optimal situation of using Sorter Mk.IIIs with Sorter Cargo Stacking V. Manually loading Coal into a Smelter and unloading Energetic Graphite before manually loading it into a Thermal Power Station results in no net difference in energy generated.
- When considering fuel sources for the Mecha, Energetic Graphite comes out slightly ahead of the equivalent of two Coal, with a net gain of 123 kJ per Energetic Graphite in the optimal situation of using Sorter Mk.IIIs with Sorter Cargo Stacking V. Here Coal also looses out due to energy density, with a full Mecha fuel chamber holding 1.08 GJ of energy with Coal, while holding 2.52 GJ with Energetic Graphite, which will also release its energy at a 60% increased rate.
- As such, Coal should be burned directly by Thermal Power Plants, while being smelted into Energetic Graphite for use in the Mecha.
- Coal burns for 1s in the Thermal Power Station, consuming 60 Coal per minute
- 2.7 MJ * 0.8 fuel efficiency / 2.16 MW = 1 s
- Small quantities of Coal can occasionally be found from harvesting dead trees.